Why Mold Has an Odor and What You Can Do
Mold in Warren, MI, is not uncommon, but it is still unexpected, and special care must be taken to have it remedied. Even before the professionals arrive, your nose may be the first to alert you that mold is alive and growing, even if not visible by the naked eye, and the mycotoxin is to blame. Mold thrives in damp, confined environments, which can be the result of anything from natural disasters to faulty plumbing. If left unchecked, it can become increasingly challenging to tackle. If you suspect you have mold, it is likely that your business will need to turn to a mold remediation service to assess and treat the situation.
What Are Mycotoxins?
That distinctive, musty odor can be attributed to MVOCs, or microbial volatile organic compounds. Because of the many effects, it has on humans, one type of those MVOCs, the mycotoxin, is of particular concern:
- It's a toxic byproduct released by mold.
- It produces varying scents depending on mold type.
- It has different degrees of potency depending on the type/amount.
- It's transferred to humans externally on skin and hair.
HEPA Air Filtration Device
While some may believe that the scent emitted by mycotoxins can be improved simply by masking it with fragrances, ventilating the area, or removing moldy items, it is much more effective to use specialized technology. The effects of mold go beyond the damage physically seen on furniture, flooring, and walls. Measures also need to be taken to remove particles in the air. That’s where a High-Efficiency Particulate Air filtration device may come in handy; it pulls the surrounding air through a fine filter that can trap any mold spores and each mycotoxin left behind.
The next time you smell that familiar musty odor wafting through the air, you can thank your nose for helping you take the first step in resolving a problem that can easily escalate without the proper attention.