Archived Water Damage Blog Posts
Helpful Tips to Prevent Pipes From Bursting
Make sure you are prepared this winter if your pipes burst, be sure to call SERVPRO of Hazel Park.
Helpful Tips to Prevent Pipes From Bursting This Winter
- Wrap outside faucets
- Caulk around pipes where they enter the house.
- Disconnect garden hoses.
- Drain in-ground sprinkler systems.
- Let a stream of water run if the temperature dips below freezing.
- Open cupboard doors in the kitchen and bathrooms.
- Shut off and drain your water system if you are leaving home for several days.
Another common cause of water damage is a burst pipe. When pipes deteriorate or freeze, they are susceptible to bursting. For this reason, it's important to have your pipes regularly inspected. Also, be sure that you check the areas that could start corroding. One of the factors that contribute to bursting pipes is high pressure. To reduce pressure, have a valve installed or simply replace the plumbing.
Although recognizing common causes of water damage can help prevent it from transpiring on your property, there's still a chance that it could occur. If it does, you can trust the water damage remediation experts of SERVPRO to fix the problem quickly and correctly. Our IICRC-certified technicians use contemporary methodologies and cutting edge equipment to expedite each component of the remediation process. Moreover, we offer the personalized care that will keep you calm and comfortable throughout the restoration process.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of Hazel Park is strategically located to respond quickly to your storm, flood, water, or fire emergency event. When an emergency occurs in Hazel Park, Warren, Madison Heights or Detroit, we have the resources and personnel to help. Call us today! (248) 556-4200
10 Reasons Why Your Basement Is Wet
A wet or flooded basement can be caused by a few things, make sure you are prepared for anything to happen.
10 Reasons Why Your Basement is Wet
So you’ve found standing water or other signs of moisture in your basement (like damp walls or mold). You need to find the cause immediately, because nearly all problems that lead to wet basements will get worse with time—and will be much harder and more expensive to fix. Here are ten common reasons why your basement may be wet.
- Believe it or not, the source of the water entering the basement may actually be a leak in your roof. When water gets in because of damaged shingles or another roof weakness, it tends to run along the tresses in the roof and into the walls. From there, it will often go all the way down to the basement.
- Clogged, damaged, or overtaxed gutters are a very common source of basement water. When water overflows the gutters or downspouts, it’s going to run right up against the foundation of your home and can easily get into the basement.
- A high water table can cause problems for your basement, even if the structure of your home and foundation are sound. This can be especially frustrating since there’s not much you can do about it other than make sure you have a functioning sump pump and good foundation drains.
- The slope of the pavement and/or landscaping around your home should always be away from the house. When paving materials or soil settles, it can sometimes change the direction of the slope so water flows toward the house rather than away from it.
- If water shows up in your basement right after a heavy rain, there’s a good chance that the sealant around your windows and doors might be failing. Caulking around doors and windows deteriorates over time and must be replaced, as must mortar between bricks. Cracks in walls or on window ledges should be repaired quickly.
- Snow and rainwater can build up in window wells quickly if they don’t have proper drainage built in. This can lead to dampness or even a flow of water into the basement.
- Water in your basement isn’t necessarily from outside your home. The problem may be a leak in your plumbing, which means waterproofing your basement isn’t going to help.
- Even if your plumbing hasn’t sprung a leak, you may have water pipes that are sweating and dripping onto the basement floor. This happens because of the temperature difference between the pipe and the surrounding air, so insulation is an easy way to solve this problem.
- Excess humidity can also cause condensation on walls and windows. This could be a sign that you need to insulate the basement, or it could be caused by something like a dryer vent.
- If you notice the water is coming up through drains in the basement, it’s probably a backed-up municipal sewer system. You can install a backflow valve that will prevent this.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of Hazel Park is strategically located to respond quickly to your flood and water emergency event. When water damage occurs in Detroit, Hazel Park, Royal Oak, Warren, or Madison Heights we have the resources and personnel to help! Call us today, (248) 556-4200!
Reasons Why a Timely Water Damage Restoration Service Is Important for a Commercial Building
Don't let unwanted water close your business
SERVPRO Can Quickly Restore Your Water Damaged Business
There's nothing quite as difficult for a commercial establishment as dealing with water damage. However, knowing what to do when disaster strikes can prevent you from experiencing unnecessary emotional upsets for yourself, your employees, and your customers and mitigate the economic strain of lost business. There are many steps you'll need to take to get your commercial property back in order following a water damaging event. Contacting a team of skilled water damage restoration experts from SERVPRO is a good first step.
Quick Water Removal Mitigates Monetary Loss
The longer excess water remains on your commercial property, the more likely you are to suffer from costly water damage repairs to structural properties like ceiling tiles, insulation, drywall, and flooring. Then there is the concern of water damage to your capital investments: inventory, furniture, carpeting, electronic equipment and paper documents. Having a team of skilled water damage restoration experts like SERVPRO to begin immediately removing standing water can prevent you from spending unnecessary money on repairs.
Quick Remediation Prevents Secondary Water Damage.
Another benefit of a quick reaction to the pressing problem of water intrusion is that fast extraction helps prevent secondary water damage. Unfortunately, water damage creates a moist, wet environment within your business. Moisture and high humidity offer mold an opportunity to grow and spread throughout structural materials and wood furniture and fabrics. If your business deals with food distribution, high inventory loss may be a costly negative effect. For this reason, it's critically important to have standing water removed as quickly as possible. SERVPRO can arrive, usually in about one hour, with water removal equipment to meet any problem.
Fast Restoration Helps You Get Back In Business
If the water intrusion, by way of a storm, flood, leak, or the aftermath of fire extinguishing causes severe water damage to your commercial business, you may have to relocate temporarily while water damage restoration work is being completed. Closed doors affect customer traffic, employee earnings, and your bottom line. Insurance companies normally work hand-in-hand with SERVPRO to come to a working agreement allowing the water extraction process to commence immediately.
Contact SERVPRO Today
If your commercial property has been subjected to water damage, getting fast, effective water damage restoration services is a must. Here at SERVPRO, we specialize in optimizing and expediting each component of the restoration process to ensure that you can get your business back in business. Moreover, each of our IICRC-Certified technicians will provide you with the personable care and excellent customer service that keeps you in the loop throughout the water damage restoration process. We can quickly reopen your doors like it never even happened.
Commercial Building Restoration Services
SERVPRO of Hazel Park responds quickly to a water or fire, or mold damage emergency, 24 hours a day. Whether the damage occurs in a small business building in Hazel Park, or a big box store, we have the training, experience, and equipment to handle the situation. Our national network of 1,650 Franchises gives us access to personnel and resources. Call us for assistance. (248) 556-4200
Your Quick Reference Guide on Water Damage
Water damage can result from unattended roof leaks, broken water lines, and sewer backups.
Water Damage: Your Quick Reference Guide
Water damage is a serious property issue that homeowners should be fully conscious of, by getting basic information about water damage and how to quickly eliminate it. With the proper information, you can help ensure that your residential property remains in excellent condition. To obtain this basic information, refer to the quick reference guide found below:
Where Does Water Damage Come From?
Water damage is a hazard that can result from many sources. First, water damage can arise as a result of natural disasters like hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, fires, etc. Additionally, water damage can result from unattended roof leaks, broken water lines, and sewer backups. Additionally, water damage can result from flooding that generates rising waters which could put your property underwater for several hours. In the event that the water contains any sewage, you and your loved ones could be exposed to several health hazards.
Structural and Property Damages
One of the property challenges that results from water damage is structural issues. When your ceilings, walls, and floors are exposed to water, the structure of your property can become weak. Additionally, water has the ability to damage several of the structural elements on your property. These damages can cost you thousands of dollars in repairs.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), cleaning and drying your property within 24 to 48 hours of water damage is necessary for the prevention of mold growth. However, it's important to know that while you can start these processes to help eliminate or prevent mold, the fungus can grow in places you can't see. Some of these places include along ceilings and baseboards, underneath wallpaper, and behind the drywall.
The Health Hazards Of Mold Exposure
Removing mold from your property as quickly and efficiently as possible is critical for the prevention of health hazards. Individuals who are repeatedly exposed to mold can suffer health effects. Because the cleanup process can result in mold exposure, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) instruct individuals to wear an N-95 breathing mask during the procedure. Using eye protection and gloves is also advised.
Let SERVPRO Assist You Now!
If you find that your residential property has been exposed to water damage, time is of the essence. By contacting a trained team of water remediation specialists immediately, you can salvage goods, protect the structural integrity of your property, and prevent your loved ones from exposure to mold. The company to call for effective, expedient remediation services is SERVPRO. We have over 1,650 franchises and more than 50 years of experience in this dynamic sector. Our IICRC-certified technicians work with unprecedented dedication and diligence to get your property back in incredible condition, so contact us immediately to get the detailed care you need and deserve!
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
As a locally owned and operated business, SERVPRO of Hazel Park is strategically located to respond quickly to your flood and water emergency event. When water damage occurs in Detroit, Hazel Park, Madison Heights, Warren, or Royal Oak, we have the resources and personnel to help. Call us today! (248) 556-4200